Bipolar disorder comes in three forms: bipolar I, bipolar II, and cyclothymic disorder. The major difference between unipolar disorders and bipolar disorders is the manic symptoms. The disorders under bipolar are differentiated based on the severity and duration of the manic symptoms. Manic symptoms are the defining features used to identify and diagnose bipolar disorders. Mania and depression are considered opposite poles of emotional turmoil. A depressive episode alone cannot determine bipolar disorder.
- Increased in goal directed activity
- Unusaual talking & rapid speech
- Flight of ideas
- Decreased need for sleep
- Increased self-esteem
- Belief that one has special talents/powers/abilties
- Attention easily distracted
- Excessive involvement in activities that are likely to have undesirable consequenes
Causes of Bipolar Disorders
Bipolar disorders are caused by genetic factors, neurological factors such as serotonin and dopamine receptor dysfunctions, social factors such as life events and interpersonal difficulties, and psychological factors such as a personality trait that increases the tendency to react negatively to life events.
Treatment for Bipolar Disorder
Several different treatments are available to treat and manage the symptoms of bipolar disorders. Psychological treatment includes different therapeutic approaches such as cognitive behavioral therapy, behavioral therapy, and interpersonal psychotherapy. Electroconvulsive therapy and medications are clinical treatments that are usually done by the psychiatrist. In some cases, clients are treated with a combination of therapy and medication.
Here to help
If you think you are being bothered by any of these or any other mental health issues, Ananth Jeevan is here to help. Here’s how you can avail our services:
- If you want to talk to someone, there is a helpline you can contact at +918645687456. We are here to listen.
- You can check your mental health status via our AJ App by downloading it from Android Playstore
- If you want to chat anonymously, you can check out the feature in our app.
- If you want Counselling, you can ask for appointments from our WhatsApp number +917661951444