Major Depressive Disorder
MDD requires five depressive symptoms to be present for at least 2 weeks. These symptoms must include either depressed mood or loss of interest and pleasure. The symptoms are present for a period of time and then the symptoms are clear. Although symptoms tend to disappear over time it becomes hard to diagnose. However, if untreated or unaddressed the episodes occur constantly making it chronic for the person.
Symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder
- Lack of energy
- Feeling despair
- Loss or increase in their appetite
- Insomnia or Hypersomnia
- Feeling worthless or excessive guilt
- Difficulty concentrating, thinking, or making decision
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
Causes of Major Depressive Disorder:
The causal factors are chemical imbalance in the brain neurotransmitters like serotonin or dopamine help to transmit signals from one neuron to another neuron. When there is an imbalance or dysfunctional it can result in depressive disorder. Environmental factors could be childhood trauma, abuse, loneliness and sudden changes in the events of life such as divorce, loss of loved one, failure, debt, & unemployment.
Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder:
The more common treatments of Major Depressive Disorder are Medications, Psychotherapy, Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), CBT, & SFBT based on the severity and duration a treatment and intervention plan will be proposed by a clinical psychologist addressing the need of the client.
Here to help
If you think you are being bothered by any of these or any other mental health issues, Ananth Jeevan is here to help. Here’s how you can avail our services:
- If you want to talk to someone, there is a helpline you can contact at +918645687456. We are here to listen.
- You can check your mental health status via our AJ App by downloading it from Android Playstore
- If you want to chat anonymously, you can check out the feature in our app.
- If you want Counselling, you can ask for appointments from our WhatsApp number +917661951444