Generalized Anxiety Disorder
GAD is characterized as persistent worry often about minor things in life. The term worry is more associated to the cognitive tendency to chew on a problem and unable to let go of it. The worry continues because the person cannot settle on a solution. Even though solutions are given to them they end up worrying about the solution and it goes on and on. Most of the time we worry about different things but what makes it a disorder is when the worry becomes excessive, uncontrollable, and long lasting affecting their daily activates. The symptoms of GAD should last at least for 3 months to 6 months to understand the intensity of their anxiety.
Symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorders
- Excessive anxiety and worry at least 50% of the days about two life areas such as family, work, finances, school or college)
- The worry is sustained for atleast 3 months
- The anxiety and worry are constantly associated with feeling restlessness or feeling keyed up
- Being easily fatigued – Difficulty concentrating or mind is completely blanked out
- Irritability – Muscle tension
- Sleep disturbance
Cause of GAD
- Genetic factor Some of the major cause of anxiety disorders are genetic factors for example, if a family member with a phobia or any form of anxiety the risk of developing anxiety disorders is higher in the next generation.
- Cognitive Factors – Sustained negative belief about the future
- Perceived control over every aspect of life
- Constant attention to threat
- Fear conditioning
Here to help
If you need help, Ananth Jeevan is here.
- Call our helpline (+91-9063-Jeevan) to talk to our counsellors
- Download the AJ App (on Android and AppStore )
- For Counselling appointments, use our WhatsApp number